Sunday, June 6, 2010

Graduation


What an incredible evening. I received an invitation to A’s graduation after she contacted me via internet. She said she had been searching for me. I was A and her sister’s guardian ad litem for five years and that was over ten years ago.

I am so often reminded what little it takes to make an impression on a child we come in contact with. Loving A and her sister were a given. They were so precious and we fought long and hard to get them where they needed to be in life. They were in about five foster homes in the five years I was their guardian. It seems that everything that could happen to these precious girls did and we just had to stick with the legal system until we could be heard.

It finally happened when A was seven. She was two years old when they became a ward of the state and I was appointed their guardian.


A and her sister are teenagers now and have grown into beautiful, self-assured young women. Their adoptive parents are beyond my dreams. I knew the love and total devotion they received in their home and I knew I’d never have to worry about them again.

I could see those same little faces in the grown up young women that I saw some 15 years ago. That was so amazing. A will be going to college in the fall. She has a 4 point something GPA.

One never really knows what will imprint on a child's memory. A asked us to promise to have them over to make a gingerbread house for Christmas. They remember that from all those years ago. They told Bill how they remembered the card games he taught them and told him about the tricks to prove they remembered.

What a blessing these girls were in our lives and my heart runs over with the thought of having contact with them now. It was wonderful seeing their adoptive mom and dad after all these years, too. What a great job they have done. Ashley's dad made a toast to A and there wasn't a dry eye in the crowd. I'm still trying to settle down from this emotional day.

3 comments:

Mary said...

How wonderful that Ashley searched for you and found you, that she remembered the impact you had on her young life. Kudos to you, Judy and Bill, for the influence you had on Ashley and her sister. I am so glad you went to the graduation. God Bless both of you, and I hope you will continue to have contact with both.

Anonymous said...

Judy,
You never cease to amaze me with all the wonderful and meaningful way you touch others lives.
It takes time and committment to do many of the things you have done..blessings to you for all of them
CA

Willow said...

Wonderful experience and reward for your hard work to make a 180 degree change in the lives of your "A" and her sister. Definitely something to be proud of, and the bonus their appreciation.

Wonderful, your inclusion in the anthology with the celebration in Charlotte. Yeah, Judy!