Friday, April 24, 2009

You Won’t Believe This




But then again, you probably will. Bill took me out to Kissimmee yesterday to the breeder's house where we got Lexi. We are getting another dog, tiny toy poodle, a phantom (markings like a Doberman with red and chocolate brown). It's a little boy. We put the down payment down so he's ours. He's only a week old, doesn't have his eyes open yet and we can't have him for 8 weeks. We will pick him up the end of June. I am going to try not to be too excited because 8 weeks is a long time. I want him here now. The neat thing is that he is Lexi's step brother. They have the same father who we saw again yesterday. It's neat seeing the parents and how they look. It's the mother who has the phantom markings. I'll have to think of a male dog name. I'm thinking Zach, Zeus, Levi, Captain, Bolo..and on and on.

The big decision came about because we took this dog, Gracie, who was supposed to be 9 years old. We only had her one day, took her to the vet the next morning and then took her to animal rescue. Turns out she was closer to 15, has so many medical problems that it was rather hopeless unless we spent thousands just to get another years life for her. I couldn't handle that roller coaster ride. It was really heartbreaking to take her back but animal rescue has the resources to get her the medical care and only put her to sleep if she doesn't have quality of life. She went to a foster home.

Perhaps having her for a day was a very good thing, because the sadness of giving her up again was enough to spur Bill into going along with getting another healthy puppy from the breeders of Lexi. Woo-hoo. I can't wait. I wonder if Lexi will love him and get along with him. Time will tell. I can visit him once a week until he's ready to come home. He is the smallest in the litter of three so that's why we chose him but he really has the cutest markings, also. He has white on his chest, along with the phantom markings. Sooooooooo cute.

6 comments:

Mary said...

Awwww, Judy, this doesn't surprise me at all. Perhaps, as you used the word 'phantom' a few times you might consider naming him PHANTOM! I am so happy for you, and I think you are making a very wise decision.

Victoria said...

So tiny your new little boy put! The excitement in watching him grow and then bringing him home is contagious. I've never heard of phantom poodle markings - fun! I'm glad the older dog is with a care group used to dealing with guality of life issues for dogs in circmustances like hers.

Mary said...

I came to look at your little guy again. So very small. Just darling. I'm sure you both can hardly wait. I still think Phantom would be a good name. LOL.

Diane T said...

How exciting that you will soon have Lexi's half brother. What a cutie he is. I know he will be a wonderful addition to your family.

Diane T said...

Oh, I meant to add...... I DO believe it. LOL.

Peggy said...

Oh Judy I finally found the dog announcement and the photos! How tiny he is--reminds me of a new kitten. You will have so much fun with a new little one and I am so glad Bill made the leap! I knew you needed another dog when we were there--else Lexi would just be hopelessly spoiled. Sharing you both will be a challenge for her but I think she can handle it! The end of June is A LONG time! You will have to post weekly updates!